The African Theatre Magazine invites applicants to the first ever Writing about African Art workshop.
The Writing about African Art Workshop a week-long writing workshop facilitated by experienced arts & culture journalists from across the continent.
The workshop is open to aspiring arts writers with the interest in writing about African Art through an Afrocentric lens for the African reader, and the rest of the world.
The workshop will cover topics like, Language/Terminology, Finding and horning your voice, Research, finding and maintaining your sources, Fact-checking, Preparing for an interview, Writing a feature story, Events and performance reviews, Working with editors/other people/receiving feedback, Framing for/casting and understanding your reader, Getting your work published, and more.
The Writing about African Art workshop is open to all aspiring Arts writers based in Africa who;
- Can commit to a full week of intensive work between 22-26th November with 2hours of synchronous learning and asynchronous unsupervised work.
- Have a good internet connection and a quiet space where they can freely be part of discussions online without any distractions
- Can comprehend, write, and express themselves in English.
Workshop Timeline and format
The workshop will run online everyday with synchronous classes from 2 to 4PM South African standard time and more hours of asynchronous work. Classes will take place between 22- 26 November 2021
Participants are expected to have access to good internet connection and a quiet place for classes and time outside the tow hours to continue working on their own.
How to Apply
All applicants must submit ALL of the following materials directly to: email@example.com with the subject line ‘Writing workshop application’.
- A statement of Interest/Motivation Letter (1 page) that explains why you would like to be considered, what and how you hope to benefit from the workshop and how you’ll use the acquired knowledge.
- A writing sample.
- A biography of no more than 250 words
The deadline for submissions is Sunday, 14th November 2021 at midnight (East African Time).
The Writing about African Arts Workshop will run from everyday at 2-4pm from 22nd -26th November 2021. For inquiries send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.